Chickem Jalfrezi Recipe.
This is a Pakistani recipe for a spicy curry. My mum made this dish, and I like it very much. You must try it. This dish is best served with basmati rice, chapattis or naan bread.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 675g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in half
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh root ginger
- 25g chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken, and season with turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Fry gently, scraping the bottom of the pan frequently and turning the chicken.
- Pour in the tomatoes with their juice, cover the pan, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Uncover, and simmer for another 10 minutes to let the excess liquid evaporate.
- Add the ghee, cumin, ground coriander, ginger and fresh coriander, and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes. Serve the chicken pieces with sauce spooned over the top.