Strawberry cheesecake crunchies
A wonderful fuss-free dinner party dessert
- 40g butter
- 125ml double cream
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 25g flaked almonds
- 25g shelled pistachios, chopped
- 50g plain flour
- For the filling and decoration
- 200g packet full fat soft cheese
- 397g can sweetened condensed milk milk
- grated zest of 2 lemons and 8 tbsp juice
- 142ml carton double cream, lightly whipped
- 450g strawberries
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4/fan 160C. Line a baking sheet with non-stick parchment. Slowly bring the butter, cream and sugar to the boil, stirring. Take off the heat and stir in the nuts and flour. Spread half the mixture in a 20cm round on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes on the sheet and then transfer to a rack to go brittle and crispy. Repeat with the other half.
- Beat the cheese until softened, and then gradually beat in the milk, lemon and lightly whipped cream. Chill for 2-4 hours until softly set.
- Squash four strawberries through a sieve into a pan. Add the sugar and redcurrant jelly and heat gently, stirring to dissolve. Boil for 2-3 minutes to make a syrup, then cool.
- Slice the remaining strawberries. Break the biscuit into shards. Layer the cheese mixture, strawberries, syrup and biscuit in glasses, reserving a few pieces. Chill (up to 2 hours ahead). To serve, top with the remaining biscuit.