Silvana's Mediterranean & basil pasta
Silvana Franco's fast, easy and healthy vegetarian pasta is perfect for a midweek meal
- 2 red peppers, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 mild red chillies, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsley chopped
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1kg small ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 350g dried pasta
- a handful of fresh basil leaves and 2 tbsp grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), to serve
- To roast the veg, preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C. Scatter the peppers, red onions, chillies and garlic in a large roasting tin. Sprinkle with sugar, drizzle over the oil and season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, toss in the tomatoes and roast for another 15 minutes until everything is starting to soften and look golden.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the pasta in a large pan of salted boiling water according to packet instructions, until tender but still with a bit of bite. Drain well.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven, tip in the pasta and toss lightly together. Tear the basil leaves on top and sprinkle with Parmesan to serve. If you have any leftovers it makes a great cold pasta salad – just moisten with extra olive oil if needed.