Creamy potato salad with broad beans
This homemade salad is so much better than shop-bought
- 200g broad beans, fresh and podded, or frozen
- 750g salad or new potatoes (I used Charlotte)
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- 150ml pot soured cream
- bunch chives, snipped
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Heat a pan of salted water; once boiling, add the broad beans. Bring the pan back to the boil for 2 mins, then lift the beans out with a slotted spoon into a bowl of cold water. Tip the potatoes into the pan, then boil for 15-20 mins or until tender. Drain and leave to cool. While the potatoes are cooking, put the onion into a shallow bowl, splash with the vinegar and scatter over the sugar, then leave to soak. Pop the beans out of their jackets.
- For the dressing, mix the soured cream, chives, mustard, 1 tbsp water and plenty of seasoning, measure 2 tsp of the vinegary juices from the onion, then stir to combine. Taste and add more of the vinegar if you like, then discard the rest. Peel the skins off the potatoes if you like, then cut them in half or into quarters and toss with the dressing and onions.