Warm new potato salad with bacon & blue cheese
This French-style main meal salad with roasted new potatoes makes a fabulous lunch
- 500g salad potatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, each sliced into 6 wedges
- 4 rashers smoked back bacon, trimmed and cut into large pieces
- 140g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100g bag mixed watercress and spinach salad
- 85g creamy blue cheese (we used St Agur)
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Place the potatoes in a roasting tin, then rub with 1 tbsp oil and a sprinkling of salt. Roast for 20 mins, then add the onion wedges to the tin, giving everything a good shake. Roast for 20 mins more until the potatoes have turned a deep golden brown and the onions have caramelised and softened. Leave to cool slightly.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan. Dry-fry the bacon until crisp. Add the sliced mushrooms, then fry for 5 mins more until they have softened.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk the mustard, vinegar and remaining 1 tbsp oil with a splash of water. Place potatoes, onions, bacon and mushrooms in a large bowl with the salad leaves, pour over the dressing, then toss well. Divide between 4 plates, then crumble over the blue cheese.